West Norfolk Academies Trust
Smithdon High School
Grade Scale F Pts 12 – 17, £11.50 - £12.69/hour (£22,183 - £24,491/year FTE based on a 37 hour week) Please note that the salary will be pro rata
Hours/weeks 37 hours per week, 40 weeks per year (term time + 2 weeks)
Purpose of the Job
To lead, innovate, motivate and work with a team whose aim is always to serve fresh and nutritious school meals within budget which meet Government and the School’s standards.
To manage a busy school canteen alongside a friendly team of Catering Assistants. Responsibilities include ordering, preparing and cooking a range of meals using high quality ingredients and the usual
administration tasks associated with running a catering unit.
- As per West Norfolk Academies Trust food hygiene/HACCP systems ensure compliance with relevant legislation and guidelines.
- To manage staff including recruitment, training and development.
- To be responsible for Financial Management, including purchasing, budget planning and cost/profit analysis.
- To be responsible for Risk Assessments within the kitchen / canteen area, working closely with the Site Manager.
- To be responsible for and respond to Audits and Inspections
- To be responsible for Facilities Management.
- Provide supervision to other catering staff working within the kitchen and offer instruction on the correct uses of specialist technical equipment, presentation or any other area as appropriate.
- Provide a courteous standard of service and deal with any issues which arise within operation/opening hours.
- Your principal place of work will be Smithdon High School, but you may be required to work within another catering department at one of the sites within West Norfolk Academies Trust.
- To undertake other duties as reasonably required by the Headteacher.
- The post holder must be able to organise own work routines and prioritise. Ensure menu item availability avoiding delay and minimising waste. Must be able to follow recipe ingredients/methods and help with menu development, tastings and specifications. You will be able to perform several tasks simultaneously, handling constant interruptions and last-minute requests.
- The post holder will be able to implement and monitor Quality Assurance Standards to judge if food standards are being met and communicate problems to the Trust Executive Chef.
- Ensuring high standards, consistency of presentation, production amounts and portion control as per Trust menu.
- The successful post holder will possess good interpersonal skills and be able to work harmoniously as part of a team. He/she will be helpful and polite when dealing with customers.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a trade test. You will be given a selection of ingredients to produce a main and a dessert in a specified time. This will be sampled by the Senior Leadership team from the School and the Trust Executive Chef
Job context and flexibility
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description provide a summary of the main aspects of the role. This is not an exhaustive list and the post holder may be required to carry out other tasks, as deemed appropriate to the grade and nature of the post.
This job description is current at the date indicated below but, in consultation with the post holder, it may be changed by the Headteacher to reflect or anticipate changes in the post commensurate with the
grade or job title.
Due to the routine of the school, the workload may not be evenly spread throughout the year. Flexibility of hours, and a flexible attitude and willingness to assist others in the team, when required is necessary.
Applications to be received by: 22nd October 2021
The post holder will have a shared responsibility for the safeguarding of all children and young people. The post holder has an implicit duty to promote the welfare of all children and young people. The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All staff will be subject to an enhanced DBS
(Disclosure and Barring Service) check.
Where the post holder has a budgetary responsibility, it is a requirement of the role to work within the Academy’s financial regulations.