Ballard is an award-winning, independent, co-educational, day school for pupils from Nursery (2 years) to Year 11 GCSE (16 years). We have recently been awarded the highest accolades in our latest ISI and OFSTED inspections – Excellent & Outstanding. We currently have over 450 children in the School and we are situated close to both the New Forest and the sea, set within a wonderful 34 acre site.
We are seeking to appoint an experienced and proactive HR Administrator to be responsible for providing an efficient, effective and responsive HR service to the School. Reporting to the Head and the Bursar, being responsible for providing proactive advice and guidance to the School’s Leadership Team (LT) on the application and interpretation of employment legislation, employment policies and procedures and the provision of a comprehensive HR service. We are ideally seeking to appoint a CIPD qualified HR Administrator with well-developed communication, organisational skills and relationship building skills, who is able to act with integrity and empathy.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Managing the Headmaster’s electronic diary
• Assisting the Headmaster with his regular correspondence
• Oversee and update the School Policy Schedule, ensuring ISI compliance
• Maintaining the Complaints Log in line with ISI requirements
• Undertake the ISC and SLASC Census
• Assist in co-ordinating information for school inspections
• Minute Governors’ meetings and other confidential meetings
• Support the Bursar and other members of the Leadership Team as required
• Undertake part of the safer recruitment process
• Assisting the Head of Marketing & Admissions, as needed
• Proofread weekly bulletin, parent correspondence and notices
• During school holidays answer incoming calls and assist visitors
• Any other reasonable duties to meet the needs of the School
• Provide leadership and guidance on all aspects of recruitment; employee relations; remuneration; administration; terms and conditions of service
• Advise the Headmaster and Bursar on statutory obligations and legislative changes concerning the recruitment of staff; and ensure compliance with legislation, Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) regulatory requirements, guidance and best practice and the School’s policies and procedures
• Advise and support the Leadership Team on any investigation, disciplinary action or grievance in accordance with employment law and ACAS guidance
• Attend formal hearing panels, providing advice and ensure consistent application of procedures with legal requirements
• Liaise with the School’s legal advisors on staff-related issues
• Manage Occupational Health referrals
• Manage the processes for external and internal recruitment and selection
• Produce advertisements, job descriptions and person specifications
• Preparation of interview schedules and the provision of packs for interview panels
• Verify documentation at interview stage and carry out tours for candidates
• Manage personnel records and undertake periodic compliance checks of such records
• Ensure compliance with DfE safer recruitment processes and pre-employment checks
• Track probationary periods and fixed-term contracts, and advise the Headmaster accordingly
• Review, update and manage all Ballard HR policies and procedures
• Undertake HR projects and any additional duties, as required by the Headmaster and the Bursar
• Engage in CPD training as needed, staying up-to-date with HR legislation changes
• Attend HR forums and seminars to keep up-to-date with employment law, practices and regulations.
This job description is a broad outline of duties and responsibilities involved, and may be amended, as necessary, following discussion between the post-holder and the Headmaster and Bursar.
• Competent with the use of Microsoft Office and SIMS (preferable)
• Excellent telephone manner with all stakeholders
• Friendly, open and welcoming manner with all stakeholders
• Ability to act with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality
• Ability to work under pressure, prioritise effectively and be self-motivated
• Effective team player and ability to work on their own
• Must pay attention to detail and work to high standards
• Patience and understanding are essential
• Previous experience as a HR Administrator (preferable)
• Knowledge of Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) regulatory requirements (preferable)
• Relevant CIPD qualification (preferable) Safeguarding
To have due regard for the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and to follow the child protection procedures adopted by Ballard School as outlined in the safeguarding policy.
Health and Safety
Under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 all staff must take reasonable care of their own health and safety and of others who may be affected by their actions or omissions at work and must comply with the school in its understanding of any relevant statutory provision. Staff must not intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety and welfare in pursuance of any of the statutory provisions.
Hours of work
• 8:00am to 5:00pm
• 52 weeks (6 weeks holiday)
Closing date: 8.00am on Monday, 6th December 2021
Interview date: Wednesday, 8th December 2021
Start date: January 2022
We understand an excellent candidate may not possess all the relevant training or qualifications, but for the right candidate with the right values who can demonstrate a willingness and ability to learn the School will provide suitable and appropriate training.