Receptionist / Administrator
HOURS: Part time – Full time ( 20hrs to 35 hrs)
ADDITIONAL HOURS: To be worked upon request to cover absences of colleagues due to holiday, sickness or increased workload (occasional Saturdays)
ANNUAL LEAVE: 6 weeks rising to 7 weeks (pro rota) after 2yrs service including Bank Holidays.
PLACE: Based at both the Market Deeping Surgery and the Glinton Branch Surgery
RESPONSIBLE TO: Deputy Practice Manager
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the Practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
To provide administrative support to assist in the running of the Practice.
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the Practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the Practice
- Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain Practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Process all email correspondence received, including e-consults in a timely manner according to timescales required.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
- Assist in all administration related to the work of the reception team.
Enter/scan patient information on to the computer as required.
Deal with incoming post and issue to relevant departments.
Patient notes and correspondence:
- Retrieve and re-file records as required following practice procedures.
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
- Ensure records are kept in good repair with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
Ensure the waiting room is kept tidy (in turn with other staff).
- Open up premises at the start of the day if required and make all necessary preparations to receive patients.
- When last to leave at the end of the day, ensure that all close down procedures for Reception are completed.
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately as necessary.
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Reception Supervisors or Operations and Facilities Officer.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health &Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
In addition to maintaining continued education through attendance at any courses and/or study days necessary to ensure that NMC professional development requirements for PREP are met, the post- holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
- The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply Practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate.
To obtain full details and an application pack for any of these vacancies please contact the recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org